• Labor beginning before 37th week of pregnancy
• Preterm, regular, rhythmic contractions 5 minutes apart
• Cervical dilatation, effacement, or both occur
• Risk factors
– History of preterm labor
– Premature rupture of membranes
– Multiple gestation
– African American race
– Intrauterine infection
– Müllerian anomalies
– Substance abuse
– Bacterial vaginosis
– Certain socioeconomic conditions, such as limited access to prenatal care
– Shortened cervical length
• Fetal fibronectin measurement in cervicovaginal specimens can differentiate true from false labor
• A level < 50 ng/mL has a negative predictive value of 93–97% for delivery in 7–14 days among women with a history of preterm delivery currently having contractions
• However, fetal fibronectin is not recommended as a screening test in asymptomatic women because of its low sensitivity
• Low rates of preterm delivery are associated with successful education of patients in identifying regular, frequent contractions
• Magnesium sulfate
– Magnesium levels may be determined every 4–6 hours to monitor for evidence of toxicity
• Terbutaline (2.5 mcg/min intravenously titrated to a maximum 20 mcg/min or 2.5–5.0 mg orally every 4–6 hours)
• Oral terbutaline
– No longer recommended because of the lack of proven efficacy and concerns about maternal safety
– Side effects include tachycardia, pulmonary edema, arrhythmias, metabolic derangements (such as hyperglycemia and hypokalemia), and even death
– If it is used to treat preterm labor, the FDA recommends this medication be administered exclusively in a hospital setting and be discontinued within 48–72 hours
• Nifedipine, 20 mg orally every 6 hours, and indomethacin, 50 mg orally once then 25 mg orally every 6 hours up to 48 hours, have also been used with limited success
• Weekly injections of 17α-hydroxyprogesterone capote from 16 to 36 weeks of gestation can reduce the rate of recurrent preterm birth in women with singleton pregnancies and history of preterm delivery
• Nifedipine should not be given in conjunction with magnesium sulfate
• Women with shortened cervices (< 25 mm before 24 weeks gestation) may benefit from placement of a cervical cerclage
Content adapted from CURRENT Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014.
• Partial to complete lactose intolerance affects ~50 million people in the United States
• Occurs in 90% of Asian Americans, 70% of African Americans, 95% of Native Americans, 50% of Mexican Americans, 60% of Jewish Americans, < 25% of Caucasian adults
• Also occurs secondary to Crohn disease, sprue, viral gastroenteritis, giardiasis, short bowel syndrome, malnutrition
• Diarrheal stool specimens have an increased osmotic gap and pH < 6.0
• Hydrogen breath test: After ingestion of 50 g lactose, a rise in breath hydrogen of > 20 ppm within 90 minutes is a positive test
• Empiric trial of a lactose-free diet for ...
Log In to View More
If you don't have a subscription, please view our individual subscription options
below to find out how you can gain access to this content.
Want access to your institution's subscription?
Sign in to your MyAccess Account while you are actively authenticated on this website
via your institution (you will be able to tell by looking in the top right corner
of any page – if you see your institution’s name, you are authenticated). You will
then be able to access your institute’s content/subscription for 90 days from any
location, after which you must repeat this process for continued access.
If your institution subscribes to this resource, and you don't have a MyAccess account,
please contact your library's reference desk for information on how to gain access
to this resource from off-campus.
AccessMedicine Full Site: One-Year Subscription
Connect to the full suite of AccessMedicine content and resources including more than 250 examination and procedural videos, patient safety modules, an extensive drug database, Q&A, Case Files, and more.
Pay Per View: Timed Access to all of AccessMedicine
48 Hour Subscription
Pop-up div Successfully Displayed
This div only appears when the trigger link is hovered over.
Otherwise it is hidden from view.