1. Hinman CD, Maibach H: Effect of air exposure
and occlusion on experimental human skin wounds. Nature
2. Howells CHL, Young HB: A study of completely undressed surgical
wounds. Br J Surg
53: 436, 1966.
3. Dire DJ, Coppola M, Dwyer DA, et al: A prospective evaluation
of topical antibiotics for preventing infections in uncomplicated
soft-tissue wounds repaired in the ED. Acad Emerg Med
4. Howell JM, Chisholm CD: Outpatient wound preparation and
care: a national survey. Ann Emerg Med
5. Moran GJ, Talan DA, Abrahamian FM: Antimicrobial prophylaxis
for wounds and procedures in the emergency department. Infect
Dis Clin North Am 22: 117, 2008.
6. Cummings P, Del Beccaro MA: Antibiotics to prevent infection
of simple wounds: a meta-analysis of randomized studies. Am
J Emerg Med
13: 396, 1995.
7. Zehtabchi S: Evidence-based emergency medicine/critically
appraised topic. The role of antibiotic prophylaxis for prevention
of infection in patients with simple hand lacerations. Ann
Emerg Med 49: 682, 2007.
8. Mark DG, Granquist EJ: Are prophylactic oral antibiotics
indicated for the treatment of intraoral wounds? Ann Emerg
Med 52: 368, 2008.
9. Medeiros I, Saconato H. Antibiotic prophylaxis for mammalian
bites. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (2): CD001738,
10. Singer AJ, Hollander JE, Quinn JV: Evaluation and management
of traumatic lacerations. N Engl J Med
11. Hollander JE, Singer AJ: Laceration management. Ann Emerg Med
34: 356, 1999.
12. Hauser CJ, Adams CA Jr, Eachempati SR; Council of the Surgical
Infection Society: Surgical Infection Society guideline: prophylactic
antibiotic use in open fractures: an evidence-based guideline. Surg
Infect (Larchmt) 7: 379,
13. Vignes S, Dupuy A: Recurrence of lymphoedema-associated
cellulitis (erysipelas) under prophylactic antibiotherapy: a retrospective
cohort study. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20: 818,
14. Cunningham M, Bunn F, Handscomb K: Prophylactic antibiotics
to prevent surgical site infection after breast cancer surgery. Cochrane
Database Syst Rev (2): CD005360, 2006.
15. Bobrow BJ, Pollack CV Jr, Gamble S, Seligson
RA: Incision and drainage of cutaneous abscesses is not associated
with bacteremia in afebrile adults. Ann Emerg Med 29: 404, 1997.
16. Lockhart PB, Loven B, Brennan MT, Fox PC: The evidence base
for the efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis in dental practice. J Am Dent Assoc 138: 458,
17. Kretsinger K, Broder KR, Cortese MM, et al; Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention; Advisory Committee on Immunization
Practices; Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee:
Preventing tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis among adults: use
of tetanus toxoid
, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis
vaccine recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization
Practices (ACIP) and recommendation of ACIP, supported by the Healthcare
Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC), for use
of Tdap among health-care personnel. MMWR Recomm Rep
55(RR-17): 1, 2006.
18. Goldberg HM, Rosenthal SAE, Nemetz JC: Effect of washing
closed head and neck wounds on wound healing and infection. Am
141: 358, 1981.
19. Heal C, Buettner P, Raasch B, et al. Can sutures get wet?
Prospective randomised controlled trial of wound management in general
practice. BMJ 332; 1053, 2006.
20. Austin PE, Matlack R II, Dun KA, et al: Discharge instructions:
do illustrations help our patients understand them? Ann
25: 317, 1995.
21. Carleo C, Singer AJ: Effect of frequent soaking on the rate
of tissue adhesive sloughing: a randomized study. CJEM
22. Gates S, Anderson ER: Wound drainage for caesarean section. Cochrane
Database Syst Rev (1): CD004549,
23. Gurusamy KS, Samraj K: Wound drains after incisional hernia
repair. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (1): CD005570,
24. Parker MJ, Livingstone V, Clifton R, McKee A: Closed suction
surgical wound drainage after orthopaedic surgery. Cochrane
Database Syst Rev (3): CD001825,
25. Clifton R, Haleem S, McKee A, Parker MJ: Closed suction
surgical wound drainage after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction:
a systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Knee 14: 348,
26. Karthikesalingam A, Walsh SR, Sadat U, et al: Efficacy of
closed suction drainage in lower limb arterial surgery: a meta-analysis
of published clinical trials. Vasc Endovascular Surg 42: 243,
27. Morykwas MJ, Simpson J, Punger K, et al: Vacuum-assisted
closure: state of basic research and physiologic foundation. Plast
Reconstr Surg 117(7 Suppl): 121S, 2006.
28. Hunter JE, Teot L, Horch R, Banwell PE: Evidence-based medicine:
vacuum-assisted closure in wound care management. Int Wound
J 4: 256, 2007.
30. Seaman M, Lammers R: Inability of patients to self diagnose
wound infections. J Emerg Med
9: 215, 1991.
31. Hollander JE, Blasko B, Singer AJ, et al: Poor correlation
of short and long term appearance of repaired lacerations. Acad
2: 983, 1995.
32. Ship AG, Weiss PR: Pigmentation after dermabrasion: an avoidable
complication. Plast Reconstr Surg
75: 528, 1985.